Get involved in city advocacy at the Capitol
The League is here to advocate on behalf of cities, but it is important for cities to also get involved. LMC members were very engaged in the 2023 legislative session, with many city leaders coming to St. Paul to lobby or testify on behalf of their communities and cities across the state (read an overview of the 2023 legislative session).
There are a variety of ways to advocate and get involved, from applying for appointments to calling your state legislator to visiting the Capitol to participating in committees. Contact your state legislators on a regular basis and visit them at the Capitol at least once a year. Use the following resources to help you with your advocacy efforts.
- Public Safety Duty Disability (pdf)
- Local Government Tax Exemption for Construction Materials (pdf)
- Street Funding for Economically Competitive Cities (pdf)
- Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act and Inflation Reduction Act (IIJA/IRA) (pdf)
- Regulation of Adult-Use Cannabis and Cannabinoid Products (pdf)
- Federal Issue Highlights (pdf)
- Housing Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Street Impact Fees Fact sheet (pdf)
- LGA Fact Sheet (pdf)
- Advocacy tips
- Bill procedure flowchart
- Find out how to contact your legislators from the Legislature’s website